History of Grodan Rockwool
During one of the Rockwool Group’s early production rounds of stone wool construction insulation – some of the ingredients were left out, leading to faulty products rolling off the production line. These ‘faulty’ products were then placed outside as waste material, only for staff to be amazed to see small plants growing in it, shortly afterwards!
This sparked an idea leading to intensive horticulture research with universities and the establishment of the Grodan Group in 1969. At the time, rockwool substrate cultivation was the perfect solution to the exhaustion of arable land. Not only do Grodan products completely replace soil, but the crops thrive – significantly increasing crop yield, without arable land.
Since then, the Grodan Group continues to have a strong focus on innovation. The development of Grodan’s Precision Growing solutions enable closed cultivation systems and ensure that water, nutrients, energy and space are all used in the most efficient way possible.
Key Grodan Rockwool Benefits
Grodan rockwool is a natural product consisting of a volcanic rock called basalt, designed to be an ideal growing environment based on the following features:
- Inert – Rockwool does not release or lock up any substances, enabling growers to easily steer the crop by applying precisely the right amount of water and nutrients to optimise their results – waste becomes a thing of the past.
- Irrigation Efficiency – Maximising yield/m2 and energy consumption.
- Uniformity – Sterile Quality Control – Due to the controlled manufacturing process, Grodan rockwool is consistently high quality, as manufacture at extremely high temperatures, guarantees a consistent, clean product with zero contaminents and disease-free.
- pH 6.0 from the start
- Steerability – Easy to control and steer your crop towards flowering or vegetative growth, on demand.
- Plants grow easily and thrive in this airy rootzone with all the room to root in and develop optimally.
- Hydrophilic – The unique ‘water loving’ fibre characteristic makes rockwool cultivation very easy to control – all water and nutrients provided are available to the plant.
- Lightweight – Easy to handle.
- Recirculation friendly of water and nutrients – minimising waste of input materials.
In summary, Grodan rockwool is a sustainable and environmentally friendly product – with the following key benefits:
- Constant, controlled quality
- Clean – contains no contaminants
- Optimum control range
- High yield at high quality
- Save on water and nutrients
- Less energy consumption
- Easy to use
- Sustainable, 100% recyclable and environmentally friendly